-->

Theme Layout

Boxed or Wide or Framed

framed

Theme Translation

Display Featured Slider

Featured Slider Styles

Display Trending Posts

Instagram-Widget

Dark or Light Style

Pageviews

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Uncategorized

Lights ... Camera...Wishes!


 Since coming back to Orlando, I feel like I have been incredibly lucky. I have been able to jump right back into where I left off with a lot of production work, and hit the ground running. My part time job at SeaWorld has allowed Mike and I the flexibility we have needed in sharing one car, and getting time off for big projects like a Disney Cruise Line commercial. I was graciously asked to come join the assistant directing team as 2nd 2nd AD for my first time aboard Disney Cruise Lines Disney Wish ship for a freelance gig for a week. 

I have never been on DCL, Mike and I had booked a cruise on the Magic in 2020 but if you recall it was one of the first cruises cancelled due to Covid, so we never got to go, so naturally I was thrilled. Although filming a commercial kept me incredibly busy on our cruise, I did have some fun time too. I am excited to share the finish product with you all when it comes out, however, for now, I am only going to speak about the events I was able to squeeze in with my guest time. We sailed from Cape Canaveral on the Disney Wish to the Bahamas and we were gone a week because we actually did two back to back cruises. 


I was up almost every morning at 4:30am and was usually working on and off til around 10pm. We had our dinners booked for the late seating at 8:15pm, and being the grandma I am, had a hard time trying to stay awake to eat that late was hard. The first cruise, my cabin was Princess and the Frog themed, and super beautiful, complete with a balcony and a bathtub! The second cruise I had to move rooms to a Frozen themed room, but I was happy to say goodbye to my very noisy neighbors. 

The ship was absolutely beautiful and every little detail was Disney perfect.
We boarded the ship early to do some filming, but once all the guests began to come aboard, we had to reboard the ship as guests. They announced our name into the grand hall and even had some royalty welcome us onboard. 

Our next stop was Marceline Market, the buffet available for lunch and breakfast. 
The food on the ship was good, but honestly, after comparing it to our Norwegian Cruise experience this past Summer, NCL did it better. It was a little too upscale for Disney, and nothing was exceptional. I did enjoy my Mickey waffles every morning, but I was disappointed we didn't have the churro Mickey waffles on this cruise. I enjoyed eating at Marceline when I had time though, because of the sweeping views and the unlimited POG (passion, orange, guava) juice. 

Right next door was Joyful Sweets, where there was candy and cakes and gelato galore. It is an additional cost, but you can sample the fun gelato, and the theming is adorable.  

Around 4pm mid day, the ship was ready to depart for our first destination, Nassau in the Bahamas. First we had our muster drill where we had to report to our emergency safety locations and get instructions on if there was an emergency. We did this once for each cruise, and both times, it was chaotic, filled with screaming children, making it hard to hear any instructions.

Once the drill was complete, we joined the sail away party and said goodbye to Cape Canaveral for a few days. 

One of my favorite highlights of this day was getting to visit the Kids Club, and spotting an old friends outfit. 
One of the best parts about filming is getting to see places you wouldn't normally venture to like the kids and nursery area, the spa, or even the Rose.

Before dinner, I had time to sneak in one guest activity on board, which was the Villains Game Night. I was so thrilled to see so many faces I recognized on the screen, and the activity was one of my favorites of the whole cruise. 
That evening dinner (at 8:15pm) was at 1923, themed around old Hollywood style animation. On a Disney Cruise, the wait staff is suppose to follow you each evening on your different restaurant rotations, however, production was a big group and we kept switching up who we were sitting with each night making it complicated for them. I do like the idea of your wait staff getting to know you, but it was just complicated for our situation. 1923 was beautiful, however. 
Burrata Mozzarella Cheese &. Prosciutto di Parma Crisp Cranberry and Sunflower Seed Phyllo, Charred Blood Orange shown below was the true star. 
Riverside Roasted Green Circle Chicken Leek Rondels, Brussels Sprouts, Yukon Potato Fondant, Honeycrisp Apple Chutney, Cabernet Sauvignon Reduction
California Summer Pudding Berry Compote, Chiffon Sponge, fresh Berries, Micro Flowers
Churros Calientes Sugar Spice Churros with Dulce de Leche
The first cruise, the boat was very rocky, and making a lot of people feel not so great. It got a little better on the second cruise, but it was still a pretty sea rough week. I was ready to get back to my stateroom and crash in my super comfortable bed.
One of my favorite parts of going back to my room after dinner every night was seeing what house keeping had turned my towels and blankets into, and getting my bedtime chocolate. The house keeping hosts were one of the best services I came into contact with. They recognized me and got to know me and chatted with me in the hallways.
When I woke up the next morning, we were in Nassau. After a busy morning of filming, I had a bit of time in the afternoon to run off the ship and visit the port. I only had maybe 15 minutes off boat, but I walked over to the straw market to check out some of the goods. 
Checked on Rapunzel at the back of the ship- you good girl??
One of the hardest things about filming while on the boat was finding time to eat when things were open, lines weren't too long, and I had a break. I often found myself at Mickey and Friends Festival of Foods, since it was open lunchtime til 6pm and one stall til 10pm. There were plenty of options between pizza, burgers, tacos, bbq, but most importantly, soft serve ice cream. Ice cream flavors were always a classic vanilla and chocolate or twist, but some days had flavors like strawberry banana and my favorite, mango blueberry.
I also didn't know until late in the game that room service (excluding gratuity) is free and you can order things like warm chocolate chip cookies and Mickey ice cream bars at most hours of the day!
Before we left Nassau, I had a bit of time to check out the pools on board. I almost always stayed in the adult only area since I don't love to be splashed, but the infinity pool was slightly warmed compared to the chilly air, and the hot tub was extra special, since I somehow ended up in it alone most times. 

We pushed off from Nassau to the most beautiful sunset, and began our journey to Disney's Castaway Cay Island. 
That evening was Pirates Night aboard the ship! I think I heard the song Yo Ho Yo Ho A Pirates Life for Me like 15 times that evening, but it was fun to see everyone on board get really into dressing up. Stars like Captain Hook, Mr. Smee, Red, and Jack Sparrow were around during the pirates show, and Mickey and his crew showed everyone how to be the best pirate. 
The night finished with a literal bang as fireworks were set off from the ship!
The next morning came early and fast, and we had a very busy day at Castaway Cay, I really didn't get a lot of photos. The water was so crystal clear, but it was still kind of chilly. I saw a few familiar faces though.

Lunch was on the island, buffet style with hot dogs and hamburgers and all the side salad options, and of course...ice cream.
When we got back on board the ship, the afternoon snack of the day was a coffee and some of Tiana's fresh beignets from the Bayou. I cannot recommend the caramel dipping sauce enough with these beignets though, it was delicious and my favorite food on board. 

The last day of cruise #1 was another busy one, however, because it was a little quieter from the guest side of things, I got to finally go to meet some characters. My buddy Felipe on this cruise who loves Disney too came along as well.
One of the things I was most excited for on the ship was the chance to see the shows. I was able to watch all 3 eventually, Disney Seas the Adventure, The Little Mermaid, and Aladdin. I obviously have very strong opinions on all of these, but what I will say is I was thrilled to see some live entertainment and really was glad I got to see them all.
That evening (at 8:15pm) was our late night dinner in Arendelle. The dining experience has live music, characters, and encourages singing a long. I will not lie, this was the most overwhelming dinner of my life because it was so loud, the boat was rocking a lot, and I was incredibly tired. We did do the dinner again on the second cruise though, and for some reason there was less people and less chaos and it was a way better experience. 
below: on the far left is Elsa’s Royal Baked Scallops Shrimp Tarragon Bisque, Rainbow Carrots, Leeks, flaky Pastry and in front of me is Sven’s Favorite Carrot Soup Caraway with Rye Sippits
Below was the Jarlsberg Cheese & Rosemary Ham Tart Gala Apple, Williams Pear Compote, but it was really just a quiche
left to right is Garlic & Thyme Roasted Beef Rib-Eye Double-baked Potato, Buttered Broccoli, Sweet Honey-Roasted Carrots, Cabernet Jus. 
Then in the middle is my favorite, Arendelle Kjottkake Braised Meatballs, Rosemary Cream Reduction, Egg Noodles, Lingonberry Chutney. 
And finally the Queen Iduna’s Potato Lefse Marjoram Butter Crust, Heirloom Carrots, Spinach, Celeriac, Green and White Asparagus, Baby Brussels Sprouts, Leeks, Aquavit Jarlsberg Cream.
For dessert on the left was the off the kids menu, Olaf’s Campfire S’mores Bar Graham Cracker, Roasted Marshmallow, Oreo Cookies, Double Chocolate, Vanilla Ice Cream and to the right of it was Norwegian Pancake Roulade Pancake, Lingonberry Jam, Gjovik White Chocolate Cheesecake (and it was WEIIIIRD).
The best dessert was the Kvafjordkake Butter Cake, Baked Almond Meringue, Vanilla Cream, Berry Compote, which I had eaten while in Norway and loved.
The show itself was mostly a trio of a singer, violinist, and a guitar player who sang a majority of the songs, where they would come out and sing, take a little break while you were served and ate, and then come back and sing some more. I knew the singer, and she was an incredible vocalist. Elsa and Anna and the gang came around and visited each table very briefly and sang a bit as well. 

and to finish the night, Kristoff, Olaf, and Oaken led everyone through everyones favorite song, Let It Go.
The next day I briefly said hi-bye to Cape Canaveral again as we lived our groundhog day, getting on and off the ship as guests, moving into our new staterooms, visiting the set sail party, all while getting some work done. 

That evening I was so tired, all I wanted to do was crash, but I didn't want to miss our Worlds of Marvel dinner for the second time, so I stayed awake for my 8:15pm dinner and tried not to fall asleep at the table. The entertainment and special guest stars made it easier to stay awake. 

Above: Steamed Bao Buns Seared Ginger Orange Pork Belly, Toasted Sesame Seeds, Pickled Daikon, Spring Onions, Mirin Soy Honey Glaze
Below: Chicken Schnitzel Panko-crusted Chicken Breast, Butter Sautéed Potatoes, Caramelized Onions, Long Green Beans, Lemon, Anchovy, Capers
below:Cheesecake Byte Fresh Berries, Strawberry Jelly, Whipped Cream

Next morning, when we landed back in Nassau for our second cruise, Felipe and I took advantage of the time we hoped others were off the boat to ride the AquaMouse. This water roller coaster will take you through a story with Mickey and Minnie before dumping buckets of water on you and sending you on your way.
The other thing I really wanted to do on the ship was see the new movie Wish, given that I was on the Disney Wish ship. I finally had time to squeeze it in and it was super cute. I liked the music and the storyline and would definitely watch it on Disney+ again.
The last day of the cruise had finally come, and I was exhausted. I had been going as hard as I could trying to fit in long work days and guest experiences on board, but I was loving it and had the best time. We wrapped our projects in the morning, and said goodbye to Castaway Cay.

I said goodbye to my balcony and the sunsets of the Bahamas and let everything that happened that week soak in.

Our final dinner that evening was back at 1923, which felt like the perfect wrap up.

After dinner, I went to the Grand Ballroom for the Wish's kiss goodnight, where Cinderella's soft voice serenaded the dreamer out of me and I said goodnight to the Disney Wish.
This trip really was a dream come true, and I am hopeful it was not the only one. I wish Mike could have been along on this adventure with me, but there will always be more. And speaking of more adventure we have a huge piece of exciting news coming next week....

You Might Also Like

No comments

Post a Comment

Follow @ThePrincesssDiaries